Up Yer Arse Zine, june 2004 – Interview by Marcus Muck
01. Could you start off by telling us a bit about yourselves?
Hail Marcus Mupp! This is Indy speaking and I haven’t got much of interest to tell you about the wicked minds of Massgrav, except for the fact that Johan is tall, Ola is fat and I’m a black dwarf. That’s the grand declaration of Massgrav. Nothing more to declare.
02. What is your current line-up? Any changes?
The most recent change in the line-up has got to be when I joined the dynamic duo to execute my fills with ultra-academic precision on a borrowed drumkit (snare, bassdrum and ride only). That was in april 2003, and the destructive duo then consisted of the Massgrav merchants of death: guitar wolf Johan and bass (v)amp Ola. They also tried out a vocalist at that time, but he got totally messed up and had some severe near death experiences when shouting his guts out, so now Johan and Ola share the screaming duties. I’m just in the back jerking off, gently touching my new Paiste-cymbal.
03. You formed back in the early 90's.. why did you get that idea, and how has the band changed since the start to this day?
Ola and Johan worked for Distortion Records back then and I guess Bodenmalm made such an enormous impression with his crusty lifestyle they felt they had to start a band. Being fucked up on hard liquor and soft porn they did the easiest thing one could ever do, they started a crust band. However, this was a good one... From being fast and catchy back in the days, Massgrav is now faster and catchier. Always hateful, though.
04. You made quite recently a sideproject of Massgrav official, called Dödsstraff. Tell us a bit about that; will we expect any releases, is the sound similar to Massgrav etc.. ?
No similarities to Massgrav what so ever. Dödsstraff is faster and more brutal… It’s way over the top crustviolence made only for the strong in mind and heart. No releases are planned at the moment, since we only got three songs (one of them being the infamous “Klipp av dig dreadsen å visa pattarna!”), but we’ve been talking to the Kill Rock Stars-label about some future co-operations.
05. You haven't released that very much until during these recent few years.. why haven't we seen more of all the wonderful brutality you've brought out?
Simply put, we are not Human Waste. We never rehearse. We hate playing music and we hate our fans.
06. Though it's been quite some time ago, I wonder if you can still remember where your very first gig took place, and how it went?
Uhm, since I wasn’t part of the band at that time
I’ll let Ola do the talking here.
07. Any funny stories while being on the road?
I could rant all day and night about the twisted things
going on in the mind of Ola when on tour, some involving huge amounts
of blood, raped teenagers and blasphemous sacrilege of the christian church,
but I won’t expose his soul this time. As for Johan, words cannot
describe what he did to this poor girl on that vomitdrenched floor in
our hotel room on that dreadful night in Orsa when we played the Corpse
Feast-festival. So vicious… not much left of her, I tell you.
08. What about recording sessions, any mess-up's or stories for the books?
When recording the “Hatfylld och nerpissad” EP I was really sick as fuck, almost throwing up after the first song and shaking like a pig in a street riot. Johan was totally drunk all the time after drinking massive amounts of whiskey, mixing three different brands and acting like a maniac. Whiplash! When laying down the vocals Ola got out and smashed two cars and one baby before entering the mic booth. The vibes in the studio were pretty tense…
09. Ever had any difficulties with the audience during a gig? Them throwing piles of shit at you, tearing down the stage, having sex with instruments etc.. ?
The audience is having difficulties with us. We always leave them speechless, insulting their feeble minds with words of wisdom they cannot comprehend. Wimps and posers leave the hall everytime. They just can’t cope.
10. If you could chose anyone at all to beat up, without consequences..who would that be and why?
No consequences? Then I’d like to pick a fight with Lord K of The Project Hate, and Rikard Alriksson and Danne Wall from Genocide SS. I’d wrestle them to death and then piss on their nameless graves. No consequences, right?
11. The all-time favorite song you've made, in my opinion, is "Spräckt skita i piketen".. is that a self-lived experience or what?
I’ll let Ola in on this one, he’s the only
one able to tell you the truth and nothing but the truth, so help him
12. I heard you had ranted down a bit at DS-13, that they wouldn't know shit about punk. Why was that?
Because it’s true. DS-13 is the most vile fucking
scums that have ever walked the earth. Purely in it for the profit, the
tattoos and the girls. They are sexist racist homophobic white trash,
for all I care. I wouldn’t even call it punk, the way they did things.
It’s no different than the shit you see on MTV, all these fucked
up bands with numbers in their band names… Sum 41, Blink 182, DS-13
- it’s all the same! If you can’t see that, you’re probably
13. Could you mention three things each about one another that your audience probably doesn't know about you?
No, we cannot. What we can do on the other hand is reveal to the readers of this zine that Marcus Muck, the one doing the interview, is a groovy-looking half-albino with 14 fingers, tight eyes, unruly ears and a banjo on his back. How about that?
14. Which band would you say are the biggest bunch of cunts you've ever stumbled upon?
All bands are big bunches of cunts, so I’ll just say Anal Cunt and leave it at that, hehe…
15. I'll write something and you write down the first thing that comes to your mind:
Inner chaos or street rioting?
Amebix or Acursed?
New wave or Old school?
Live or recorded?
Vinyl or CD?
DIY or EMI?
16. Any last words or rants?
/indy, on behalf of Massgrav, june 2004